December 22, 2017
The second-to-last Friday of the year! I might give myself the week off next week, since we’re all in holiday mode, and because I’ll be in a wedding next Friday! This week’s reads, short n sweet:
- Christmas Days: 12 Stories and 12 Feasts for 12 Days, Jeanette Winterson. Loving these tender, bittersweet short holiday stories.
- ‘Persuasion’, the Most Moving Love Story Jane Austen Ever Told, Turns 200. “More broadly, in its blend of the public and the personal, Persuasion explores both the torment of silence and the value of hope.” I think it’s time for me to visit to the world of Jane Austen again, because reading this reminded me how heartwrenchingly good this book is.
- Behold The Most Hilarious Wildlife Photos of 2017. One of the best “Best of 2017″ pieces I’ve seen this year.
- If You Want Perfect Pasta, “Al Dente” Is Actually Overcooked, Bon Appetit. This is the only website whose weekly newsletter doesn’t get on my nerves – I’ve learned a lot of cooking techniques from Bon Appetit!
- The “backlash” against Star Wars: The Last Jedi, explained. This article and this one from Vanity Fair are helpful reporting on the mixed feelings of the newest movie. I’m still chewing on my opinion of the film, but I can see where lovers and haters are both coming from.
With that, have a wonderful Christmas, and see you in the new year!