Working in higher ed, like working in many places during this health crisis, has been stressful this week. I am not going to ask much of you reading-wise this Friday because frankly I am not willing to ask much of myself, reading-wise. Enjoy some infographics!
- 17 Desk Stretches to Try at Work, Muse. Good tips and cute names for the stretches!
- Selfies Are Gonna Save The World, Autostraddle. “I actually think the fact that a selfie is not necessarily an entirely “true” representation of yourself makes it… more true! When you take a selfie you’re in charge of the narrative. What are you highlighting? What are you obscuring? What are you celebrating? Taking a picture where you can see your perfect makeup but you can’t see the pimple forming on your left cheekbone isn’t a lie, it’s a celebration to the part of yourself you enjoy looking at right now.” I also liked this line: “You can really, genuinely train yourself to love parts of yourself that you thought you hated if you look at yourself lovingly for long enough.”
- Everybody Hates Boob Lamps, But Boob Lights Are Actually Good Lamps, Apartment Therapy. As a renter in a house with aLmOsT nO oVeRhEaD LiGhTiNg, I would appreciate more boob lamps in my life. “One flick of a light switch and a whole room is illuminated with a single boob.” Also, boob lamp: new band name.
- Coping with stress during the 2019-nCoV outbreak, WHO. “Limit worry and agitation by lessening the time you and your family spend watching or listening to media coverage that you perceive as upsetting.” I know this is VERY difficult to resist, but I have found my sense of wellbeing is better if I let myself check no more than 2 sources (CDC and the Maryland Department of Health) no more than 2 times a day (beginning of the work day and around dinnertime — not right before bed).
- Algonquin Park Trail Cam Footage 2019, Youtube. This has been a major way I’ve been dealing with the (major) stress this week: animal webcams, especially the ones set up in the wild (zoo cams are pretty cool, too!). Soothing, and you don’t need audio for them, so you can choose any soundtrack you’d like to watch mooses to.